RE: CD-ROM longevity

Just happened to be looking at Douglas A. Kranch's article "Beyond
Migration: Preserving Electronic Documents with Digital Tablets" in
the Sept. 1, 1998 issue of Information Technology and Libraries where
there is a table from the National Media Laboratory concerning CD-ROM
life expectancy.  His citation is John W.C. VanBogart, "Archival
Stability of Digital Storage Media," Section 11 in NML Storage
Technology Assesment, Final Report. URL
http://www.nml.org/Publications/Technical Reports/Technology
Assessments/TechAssessmentFinalReport1994/11_arch_stability.html,July
1994.  I haven't tried this URL, and there may be more current
information available now.

Hope this helps,

Kristen

Hi, All:  Can anyone give me THE authoritive citation/source on the question
of CD-ROM longevity?

Thanks,
Joan

Joan L. Buntzen
Librarian of the Navy
Office of the Department of the Navy Chief Information Officer
(703) 602-6812 DSN: 332-6812
Fax: (703) 601-0352
Email: buntzen.joan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Mail Address:  SECNAV/DON Chief Information Officer, 1000 Navy Pentagon,
Washington, DC 20350-1000

Physical Location:  Presidential Tower (Suite 2100), 2511 Jefferson Davis
Highway, Arlington, VA 22202-3903

Kristen Kern
Preservation/Catalog Librarian
Portland State University Library