Scanning policy

The National Library of Australia (NLA) is currently developing a scanning
policy both for in house scanning of collection material by library staff
and for  user scanning of Library materials in the reading rooms.  The NLA
is a deposit library with material available for onsite use and through
interlibrary loan via a document supply system.  Special collections
include; pictorial, manuscript, map, rare book and asian collections.

Has any other major Library or Archive developed a scanning policy?
I am particularly interested in the preservation issues of scanning for
access including:
*	procedures for scanning material by users and /or for users
*	what material is allowed to be scanned
*	different procedures for  special collection materials
*	use of standardised in house equipment versus users being allowed to
bring in their own scanners
*	Types of scanners overhead, flat bed, hand held,
*	Light source, intensity, heat, duration of exposure during scanning,
what is the difference to conventional photocopying?

I would appreciate to hear from you  and any information, advice,experience
and policy and procedure documentation that you can provide, thanking you in
anticipation.

Lydia Preiss
Manager Collection Preservation
National Library of Australia