RE: photo preserv

Dear Ms. Gontar;
Thank you for your question concerning the display of photographs. As you
didn't mention how old the photographs are, I will be generic in my response

Exhibiting original materials can be one of the greatest sources of stress
on an object. Light damage such as fading and accelerated aging are the
principle results. If your materials will be in enclosed display cases,
putting a UV (Ultraviolet) filter on the cases would be a good idea for the
display of all objects, especially if your lighting is flourescent. If it is
incandescent, putting such a filter on the windows can greatly reduce your
UV exposure, or simply drawing curtains shut.

For display of the photographs I suggest having them fully supported. You
can use an archival quality matboard for this and mount the photos using
photocorners which will allow you to easily remove them after the exhibition
is over. If you are going to display other photographs (or other documents)
on a rotating basis as part of an exhibitions program you might consider
purchasing some Mylar photo sleeves and using double sided tape mounting
these to matboard. This will allow you to slide the photos or documents in
and out easily. These could be made in the sizes most common to your
collection.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen
Archival Product Manager / Conservator
Gaylord Brothers