Re: Where Was It?

Hi Robert,

A glossy version exists as the front cover to the publication PAPER
PERMANENCE, which was adapted from an address by Lewis Brown (S.D. Warren
Company) given at the 1980 Annual Conference of the Book Manufacturers
Institute.  The words PAPER PERMANENCE run across the top half-ince of his
head so it may not suit your purposes.  I have this at hand to lend if you
don't have it.

I found a non-glossy version on p.40 of PRESERVATION OF HISTORICAL RECORDS
(1986) by National Research Council.  Have this one too.

It's likely you'll find other reproductions among the stuff in your
disorganized file from the 80s when this picture was in wide circulation.
If you need a copy from what I have, I'll be happy to provide.

Patricia
Old-Timers Club

At 02:44 PM 10/9/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I am looking for references to the appearance of the famous photo of Peter
>Waters blowing at an exploding cloud of brittle paper.  Did it not appear in
>color on glossy paper in some publication, or two, or three?  I have a B/W
>version on dull coated stock which is really raunchy looking.  I need a
>crisp glossy version, at least.  Then I can go look in my unorganized
>personal reference library.  Sigh!  Thanks for helping me remember, if you
can.

>Robert Milevski
>Robert J. Milevski
>Preservation Librarian
>Princeton University Library
>One Washington Road
>Princeton, NJ 08544
>609-258-5591; fax: 609-258-4105
>email: milevski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Patricia Palmer				phone: 804.828.2287
Head, Preservation Services		fax:   804.828.1051
Virginia Commonwealth University
Box 842033				email: pepalmer@xxxxxxx
Richmond, VA  23284-2033		Smoke Signal: 0 oo 000 o0o0