Reminder: TODAY is last day to complete digitization survey

               This message is being cross-posted.
                 Please forgive any duplication.

                         ***REMINDER***

Today is the final day to submit a response to the Survey on
Physical Preparation of Materials to be Digitized.  All responses
must be received by the close of the day (11 pm PDT).

The response thus far has been strong, with information submitted
from Europe, North American and Australia.  Working Group members
would like to thank those of you who have already completed the
survey.  For those of you who have not yet had a chance to complete
it, we encourage you to do so.  Your response will contribute to a
union pool of knowledge on current practices and beliefs related to
the preparation of library and archival materials for digital
imaging.

The following is clipped from the original announcement and
provides further information about the Survey and the Joint
Conference.

Thank you.

  SURVEY ON PHYSICAL PREPARATION OF MATERIALS TO BE DIGITIZED

The Research Libraries Group (RLG) and the National Preservation
Office (NPO UK/Ireland) are jointly sponsoring a conference 28-30
September which has the overall theme, Guidelines for Digital
Imaging.

In order to gather information about the processes employed in the
preparation of materials for digital imaging, the Working Group on
Preparation has devised a public survey tool.  This survey is
web-based and is available through the conference site:
http://www.rlg.org/preserv/joint/preparation_survey.html or
http://www.thames.rlg.org/preserv/joint/preparation_survey.html
(from Europe)

The following brief description is taken from the introduction to
the survey:

  "The Working Group on Preparation is trying to assess current
  practice relating to preservation aspects, prior to, and
  during, digital image capture. It is hoped, eventually, to produce
  best practice guidelines which will reflect preservation
  needs/concerns during digital image processing."

  "As part of this project, we would be grateful for answers to the
  following survey, together with any additional information
  you think may be helpful in compiling these best practice
  guidelines.  N.B.  All responses/information will be treated in
  confidence."

The Working Group would like to encourage *all those* involved with
digital imaging projects to visit the Joint Conference site and
complete the survey - **whether you will be able to attend the
conference or not**. The more survey responses submitted, the better
the chance the conference will have at identifying current
practices, identifying consensus or dissension, and moving forward
towards codifying best practices where possible.

The Working Group on Preparation will need to have survey responses
in hand by Monday, 14 September in order to process and include the
information in their papers.  It is estimated that the survey will
take approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete.  The Joint
Conference planners and speakers would like to encourage **all**
people involved in digital imaging projects to visit the conference
Web site and to complete the survey.

We thank you in advance for your assistance.

Conference Organizers and members of the Working Group on
Preparation:  Alison Horsburgh (Scottish Record Office), Ann
Swartzell (Harvard University) and John McIntyre (National
Library of Scotland).

|Robin L. Dale                                                |
|Member Programs & Initiatives                                |
|Research Libraries Group, Inc.         Email: BL.RLD@xxxxxxx*|
|1200 Villa Street                      Voice: (650) 691-2238 |
|Mountain View, CA  94041-1100          Fax:   650.964.0943   |
| * For long or MIME-compliant email messages, please use:    |
|              Robin_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                       |

To:  DIGLIB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IMAGELIB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, PADG@xxxxxxx
cc:  BL.NEE