Reeking Chinese books

Normandy Helmer asked for advice last Thursday about the 600 reeking
Chinese books they had received, but were unable to process.  She faced the
tripartite problem of finding out whether there was live mold on (in) them,
whether they had been fumigated in China with dangerous chemicals that
might still be in them, and what to do about the smell.

To start off, I would like to add one more problem to those:  the
possibility that they could contain bacteria.  As I recall, Fausta Gallo
gives a pretty complete rundown of the microorganisms that infest paper and
parchment, and many of them were bacteria.

The most widely used deodorizer in flood recovery businesses is ozone.  It
works, at least to remove the odor of smoke after a fire, but as far as I
know there has never been an analysis of the extent of degradation in the
books after treatment.  We do know, of course, that ozone is a strong
oxidizer, but it might be a good idea to know just how strong it is,
because this may be the most successful treatment.  Maybe.

The chlorine dioxide sachets that were described briefly on the front page
of a recent Abbey Newsletter are great at killing mold and eliminating
odors as well--but they have not yet been approved by the EPA, and cannot
be marketed until that happens.  EPA appears eager to give the go-ahead
now, after years of hanging back, and Englehard Corp. (owner of the
product) expects to have them on the market by fall, I hear.  For
information, call Sherri Downing of Englehard, at 913/681-6767 (phone &
fax).

Titanium dioxide has been incorporated into tiles that can be used on the
walls and floor of operating rooms.  Such tiles are used in several
operating rooms in Japan.  Also in public rest rooms.  It kills
microorganisms and also detoxifies the surface.  But it is hard to see how
this could be used with books.

If you have access to analytical labs, they could get a mass spectrometer
tracing that could help pin down the chemicals in the books, but this could
be a long expensive process.  Even if you decide to have the books analyzed
for toxins, it might be a good idea to contact someone at the place of
origin of the books, and ask them if they have any idea why the books smell
so strongly.  Do you have any librarian friends in China?  If not, you
might want to approach Marjorie Li at Rutgers (New Brunswick campus)--I
think she's in the Alexander Library.  She has led several tours of Chinese
libraries in recent years.  (I don't have her number.)

I sympathize strongly with you in this situation, because about ten years
ago I bought a slim volume from somewhere in China, and it reeked
strongly--unbelievably strongly.  I was unable to read it because it was so
repulsive.  I thought:  Maybe the smell is from a compound that breaks up
at elevated temperatures.  I put it in the oven for a while; no
improvement. Then I put it in the sun for UV to work its wonders; no
improvement.  I did not take it apart and wash it, or photocopy it, or try
anything else.  I think I just threw it away.  I have never encountered
that smell before or since.

Maybe someone at CCI has dealt with this problem.  It's worth a call, if
they don't see your inquiry and answer it of their own free will. Tom
Strang, their expert on bugs and mold, it at 613/998-3721 ext. 239.  He may
know what they fumigate with in China.  (CCI may charge for giving
information now; new policy.)

Ellen McCrady, Editor
Abbey Publications
7105 Geneva Dr.