damaged books

I am looking for ideas on how to deal with damaged books when they
are returned to circulation (puppy chewed, damp, etc.).  At the
present time, circulation usually sends the book to the
preparations department for an assessment of the damage in order to
correctly charge the patron - either the cost of the book, if it can
be determined, or the estimated cost of repairs.  This is a
cumbersome process since it can take several days for the repair
assessment to get back to circulation.  In the meantime the patron is
waiting to hear his/her fate.  How do other libraries handle this
issue?  I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Kristen
Kristen Kern
Preservation/Catalog Librarian