Re: barcode placement

While I thoroughly agree with Janet Gertz that there is no good place to
put a barcode, if it MUST be attached directly to the book I would opt for
inside the back board.

We have had to remove a number of barcodes that were applied to special
collections materials by mistake or from general stacks books that were
transferred to special collections. Removing stickies from the outside of
covers almost always leaves some scarring, varying in degree depending on
the cover material, the adhesive, and the skill of the conservator. While
scarring is likely also when a barcode is removed from inside the back
board, at least it is usually less visible and obtrusive.

Shannon Zachary, Head			E-mail:	szachary@xxxxxxxxx
Conservation Services			Phone:	734/763-6980
University of Michigan Library		Fax:	734/763-7886
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048