PARS DG

ALCTS/PARS
Preservation and Reformatting Section Discussion Group
Sunday, June 28th
4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
J.W. Marriott, Salon C

Selection for Preservation in the Digital Age

In his article "Selection for Preservation:  A Materialistic Approach"
(Library Resources & Technical Services, October/December 1986, p. 342), Ross
Atkinson foresaw the technological advances of the intervening decade:

"If another method of reformatting becomes broadly available that is more
inexpensive or efficient or will result in a more durable or accessible
product, that new method should certainly be adopted, and what I have to say
in this paper with respect to microfilming will be valid for such a new method
as well."

Debates about the terms "inexpensive," "efficient" and "more durable" in
respect to digitizing aside, we would like to revisit the discussion of
selection for preservation in light of the various reformatting options
available to us today.  We are particularly interested in a discussion of the
disposition of the original volume (guillotine/scan from bound volume,
retain/withdraw, repair/phase box) and the cost v. benefits of these various
options.

We will also have a report about our Midwinter discussion of a web publishing
presence for preservation literature and the election of a new discussion
group leader.

Hilary Seo, Preservation Librarian, Georgetown Law Library
Whitney Pape, Special Collections and Preservation Librarian, Oberlin College
Library