selection for preservation -Reply

Just for information, ALA Editions published for ALCTS (in 1991):
"Guide to Review of Library Collections: Preservation, Storage,
and Withdrawal," ed. by Lenore Clark. 1991 (#5) 0-8389-3396-3.
$15.00

With all the developments in digitization since 1991 it may be
time for a new edition (and I have thus copied the chair of the
ALCTS Publications Committee on this response), but I suspect
some of the basic principles remain.

-- Karen Muller
   Executive Director, LAMA/ALCTS
   50 E. Huron Street
   Chicago, IL 60611 USA
   800-545-2433 x5031
   312-280-5031
   fax: 312-280-3257
   e-mail: kmuller@xxxxxxx

>>> Janet Gertz <gertz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/01/98 09:53am >>>
I am collecting information on selection criteria for
digitization of library materials.  While my primary focus
is digitization for preservation, I am also interested in
selection criteria for digitization in general.

Does your library have a written set of criteria?  If so,
would you be willing to send me a copy?  If you have
informal criteria, I would be interested in talking to you
about them.

Columbia's current criteria can be viewed at
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/libraries/digital/criteria.htm

Thanks for your help.

Janet Gertz
Director for Preservation