rumor

A rumor got started at the PADG discussion at Midwinter, to the effect that
I had announced the demise of Preservation and Conservation Studies at the
University of Texas. What actually happened was this:  During a floor
discussion about whether there was a shortage of book conservators, someone
said not to worry, that they would always be able to get new book
conservators from the Texas program, and I said, "No you won't."  I
explained what I thought was the case (without ever getting the attention
of the whole room or making a complete statement that everyone heard) that
the program wasn't taking in any more book conservation students.  I said
nothing about the preservation track, or the viability of the school in
general.

I had actually been told that the school no longer trained *rare book*
conservators.  To me that meant that no *book conservators* were being
trained--only collections conservators.  I was not aware of a distinction
between "book conservator" and "rare book conservators."  (I wonder how
many other people in that same room were aware that a distinction is
sometimes drawn between the two terms.)

My remark was exaggerated as it passed from person to person and the rumor
spread like wildfire.  By the time Karen Motylewski (who had been sick with
flu at the time) learned about it, she had been informed by several
reputable sources that I had announced that the school was closing down.
This understandably upset her. We have since discussed this
misunderstanding, and I think we are straight with each other now.

What still needs to be addressed is the preservation community's apparent
anxiety.  I say "anxiety" because I don't think there would have been a
rumor if people weren't uneasy in the first place, about the welfare of the
school as well as future sources of employees. When you think about it,
anybody would be nervous if they had to hire someone for an important job
from an unknown and shifting labor market. Consultants, government
agencies, and Ph.D. students survey and report on labor markets for farm
workers, nurses, and what have you, so that potential employers will know
how hard they'll have to look for new hires, among other reasons. But
nobody reports on the labor market for conservators and preservation
personnel.

A month has gone by since the ALA Midwinter meeting. In that time, only one
person has contacted me to ask what the story was. I was very grateful for
the chance to review the incident and talk it over with someone.

Ellen McCrady, Editor
Abbey Publications
7105 Geneva Dr.
Austin, TX 78723