Re: preservation and processing dept.

Gretchen wrote:

>I am interested in finding out whether many librarys
>combine their processing and preservation dept., or
>whether they are separate entities.  Univ. of MD
>has a preservation dept.(under Tech Serv.) which includes
>processing within it.

At the College of Wooster processing and preservation are also in Technical
Services.  My title is Preparations/Preservation Manager.  The catalogers
(we have 2 full time) give me the books after cataloging, then I print the
labels for them.  The books that come to me for preservation are ones that
have come through circulation. I supervise about 35 hours/week of student
employees who prep the new books, including putting on bookjacket covers,
and "Kapco" covers for the paperbacks.  My students also make pamphelt
binders, in-house bind periodicals, and perform simple repairs.  I perform
the more advanced repairs.

Sue Dunlap                                     phone: 330 263 2107
Preservation/Preparation Manager               fax: 330 263 2253
College of Wooster Libriaries                  email:sdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
College of Wooster
Wooster OH 44691-2364