rubber bands

We have been partially successful getting the rubber bands off our microfilm.

First, I had to convince the serials/binding/microfilm person that just
because the rubber bands from UMI are "acid free" (he brought in a
representative from UMI to tell me that) doesn't mean they aren't harmful
to the microfilm since they contain sulphur and all. I don't think he
really is convinced, so he just humors me. His department removes rubber
bands when they receive microfilm.

Next, I went through the library departments and made preservation
suggestions that they needed to incorporate into their strategic plans
(which we were all writing for our departments at the time).  One of the
suggestions for the appropriate department (reference, in our case) was to
take off all the rubber bands and replace them with paper covers.  I have
some allies in that department, and they have student workers who can do it.

I bought the paper microfilm reel wrappers out of my general preservation
budget.

The glitch now is, I have to persevere to make sure they are making time
for this project.  You all have reminded me that it's time to bring the
subject up again.

I fear that when they are removing rubber bands at acquisition, they are
merely leaving the tapes with no wrapper at all.

Annie Armour
Jessie Ball duPont Library
University of the South
Sewanee, TN