food/beverage policies

At the Sibley Music Library (Eastman School of Music, University of
Rochester) we get a surprising amount of cooperation with a policy of no
food or beverages except in the staff lounge (student employees are
welcome, but not general student population) and the seminar room. I very
seldom find evidence of food or drink in the student carrels, and the
staff simply bring work to the lounge when they want to work and have
coffee.
	It may be easier to maintain such policy than one would think,
and I do think its worth it. We're in a new building, with the library
occupying floors 2-4, access only by 2 elevators and one staircase. Even
so, yesterday a German (can live in air-conditioned environment,
likes food) cockroach was found at Circulation. The intruder was probably
a lone back-pack hitch-hiker, but does show that they can infiltrate even
new buildings like ours, so we don't want to offer any sort of
inducement! We will be using his visit for PR purposes respecting our
current food policy.

Alice Carli
Conservator
Sibley Music Library