Preservation Photocopying Question

The following situation has come up a couple of times in my department,
and I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions from the group:

We make a limited number of photocopy replacements for brittle books every
year. As part of the process, my technician does a careful search to
determine if any reprints are available.

Occasionally we will find a reprint listed in BIP, but the reprint press
is one that our Acquisitions Dept. doesn't trust to ever come through on
the order. There are, in fact, a couple of these firms with which they
absolutely refuse to do business.

In such a situation, what would you do?

	1) Insist that Acquisitions go through the motions of ordering the
reprint, just to demonstrate that you'd made a good faith effort to
acquire the commercial copy?

	2) Go ahead and photocopy without bothering to order from the
unreliable vendor?

This problem doesn't come up often enough to be a major problem, but it
does occur. Any advice would be welcome.

Sara R. Williams			Phone:  (303) 492-3849
Head, Preservation Department		FAX: (303) 492-0494
University Libraries			Sara.Williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Campus Box 184
University of Colorado - Boulder
Boulder CO  80309-0184