microfilm prices

        At the University of Kentucky, we operate a "charge back/not for
profit" microfilming service for the library.  We charge the costs of
filming and duplication to our library's book budget.  We also serve non-UK
libraries customers, and we charge them the same rates.

        Most of our work is preservation quality film of newspapers (169
current, ongoing historic), with some rare books, manuscripts, and general
collection monographs.
        We have not done a cost analysis/price evaluation in years; no,
decades.  We are about to embark on one.

        I would be interested in hearing how other filming operations charge
for their services.  Or, I would be interested in hearing how/why you do not
charge and how the filming efforts at your library are funded.  If your
institution is state or federally funded or, if your institution is "not for
profit," then your information will be particularly useful.

        I am primarily interested in 35 mm preservation microfilm, but I am
also interested in 16 mm filming.  The state of Kentucky has certified our
filming lab to microfilm, according to state standards for archival quality,
university records of permanent value.  This a new and small area of our
operation.

        Unless you think this information would be of value to all of the
lisserv members, please send your responses directly to me.  Thanks in
advance for your help.

Becky Ryder                                     rjryde01@xxxxxxxxxxx
Preservation Librarian                          phone:  606-257-3493
Univesity of Kentucky                           fax:  606-323-4768
301 King Library North
Lexington, KY   40506-0039