Re: fumigation chamber

Don- This is spooky. I just left a meeting where were
discussing just such a thing for the 14 x 18 room provided in
the plans for the New State Records Center, to be built here
outside Richmond. The two processes we are exploring are 1.)
anoxia, and 2.) freeze-drying. We are leaning toward the
latter, because of the added benefit of being able - as the
name says - also drying wetted materials. We also discussed
quarantine. Nothing conclusive.
There is special concern over getting the largest possible
capacity, within constraints. Particular info needs (beyond)
sources of equipment) are personnel needs, time turnaround,
costs-both initial, and operating.
I've already been into this somewhat. A possibly fruitful mfgr
niche is the _flower_ freeze-drying industry. I've got some
literature, which I will pcopy & send to you, if I can get an
address or FAX #
Our Archives, & Records Mgt people, would ideally like to make
it a routine step in processing incoming material of both kinds
(Archives being perm retention stuff, Records Mgt being
scheduled stuff).
Let's keep in touch. My phone is (804) 692-3512, FAX (804)
692-3709, address 800 East Broad St., Richmond 23219-1905
Henry Grunder
Preservation/Conservation Coordinator
The Library of Virginia
According to Don Thompson: