Re: Damage Assessment forms

Cornell, while we do not have forms for this purpose, we do have a fairly
standard format for narrative reports for every incident of damage,
especially when the Department is involved in salvage operations.  The
report details: the cause of the damage (usually water inundation); the
exact timetable of response; salvage decisions and their rationale; number,
salaries, and time spent by Department staff involved in the initial
response; number and description of items damaged; and follow-up on the
success of the drying strategy.  There is also usually a post-mortem on the
cause, and report on maintenance steps taken to prevent the problem
occuring in the future.  This type of report provides the detailed data
needed to process any insurance claim, and provides a vehicle for tracking
down damage causes, especially when there are repeats.

At 04:11 PM 3/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I am interested in any Damage Assessment Report forms you might have to share
>that would detail damage to collections and/or to the physical environment
>following water or fire damage.
>
>Please fax or send via e-mail if possible; otherwise, snail mail is ok.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Patricia Palmer
>Head, Preservation Services
>Virginia Commonwealth University
>Box 842033
>Richmond, VA  23284-2033
>
>FAX:  804-828-0151
>e-mail:  pepalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxx

John F. Dean
Director and Conservation Librarian
Department of Preservation and Conservation
214 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Telephone: (607)255-9687