Scanning Project Report Available

From: Janet Gertz <gertz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Oversize Color Images scanning project

The final report of the second phase of the Oversize Color
Images Project is now available at Columbia University
Libraries' web site:

    http://www.columbia.edu/dlc/nysmb

The project has focussed on use of digital imaging to
provide access to brittle volumes which contain oversize and
color illustrations, in this particular case maps.  Phase I
dealt with image quality issues when scanning from oversize
color maps and from film intermediaries.  In Phase II the
scanned illustrations were mounted with bit-mapped images of
the text pages scanned from preservation microfilm to
provide a complete facsimile of the volumes online.  The web
site include the reports on both phases, as well as over 300
images of the maps captured through various means, and four
complete volumes of the New York State Museum Bulletin, both
text and illustrations.  The project has been funded through
a contract from the Commission on Preservation and Access,
which has also published a paper version of the Phase I
final report.

We would welcome comments from anyone on either phase of the
project.

Janet Gertz
Director for Preservation
Columbia University Libraries