Metals 2004 Conference - Call for abstracts and expressions of

interest
Sender: owner-ozcons@charvolant.org

First announcement and call for abstracts
Metal 2004: Triennial Metals Conservation conference
Metals Working Group of ICOM Committee for Conservation
Canberra, Australia
4 th October -8rd October 2004.

At the mid-point between general sessions of the ICOM-CC Triennial
conferences, metals conservators from around the world will meet in
Canberra to discuss important professional issues and share recent
research.

The current programme foresees five days of plenary sessions grouped
according to the themes recently agreed by the Metals Working Group:
1. Preventive Conservation of metals including storage problems and air
pollutant damage and in-situ conservation of marine and terrestrial sites.
2. Diagnosis including examination of artefacts, study of corrosion
mechanisms, research on the original surface and construction of
replicas for study purposes.
3. Improving conservation treatments covering mechanical, chemical,
electrolytic, plasma and laser treatments as well as monitoring of the
treatment, protection of artefacts after treatment.
4. Conservation of composite artefacts including metal/metal,
metal/organic composites and case studies covering ethnographic
artefacts, scientific instruments and industrial heritage.

We ask you to use the attached form to help us to plan our conference so
it will be as useful and interesting as possible. We propose to arrange
roundtables on specific topics within the 4 defined themes and workshops
(see attached form) before or after the metals conference. In addition
conservation students and natural science PhD students with a subject
related to metal conservation will have the opportunity to submit papers
during a students session. There will be opportunities for laboratory
visits or relaxation in Canberra and Sydney during the weekends
adjoining the conference.

Canberra is Australias largest inland city of 300,000 people, well
known as an example of a twentieth century garden city set in a
distinctive Australian landscape. As the national capital, Canberra
includes the National Museum of Australia and the National Gallery of
Australia who are both helping to organise this conference. Canberra is
300km south west of Sydney and is easily reached by air(1 hour), road (3
hrs) and rail travel. The city has many places to visit including the
surrounding bushland and mountains, some Aboriginal sites and
colonial-era villages.

Please fill out the attached form and send your expression of interest
to attend the conference and for submission of abstract by e-mail
(preferred), fax or post to:
David Hallam d.hallam@nma.gov.au , Senior Conservator (Technology and
Research), National Museum of Australia, GPO Box 1901, Canberra, Australia
Tel +61 2 6208 5153, Fax +61 2 6208 5299
Further information will be posted at
http://www.nma.gov.au/exhibitions_and_events/special_events2 website.

Expressions of interest in attending Metal 2004 and Call for Abstracts

I am interested in attending the Metal 2004 conference in Canberra

Please add me to your mailing list

My contact details are:
Name: (Mr/Ms/Dr/Prof) ........ (family name) ........(first name)

Postal address:

Country:

E-mail: ............................................
Tel .................(please include country and city code)
Fax: ...................(please include country and city code)

I am interested in the following proposed workshops and visits:

· Laser techniques for metals conservation (there would be an extra
charge to attend due to costs of arranging equipment)
· Techniques and materials in Sculpture Conservation
· Understanding atmospheric corrosion
· Use of electrolytic techniques in conservation
· Large Technology Object conservation
· Maritime Conservation (would this be in Sydney?)
· Low cost solutions in Collections Management relevant to metals
collections including packing, storage and transport

I am interested in submitting a paper for the Metal 2004 conference.

My paper relates to the * theme: (tick box)

I am sending a 500 word abstract by :
Or  my abstract is attached .

Timetable for papers for the conference
Call for abstracts: April 2003
Abstracts sent to&: 20 December 2003
Abstracts chosen and notified by 01 February 2004
Papers completed given to the editors: 30 June 2004
Papers prints ready: 15 September 2004
Publication ready: 03 October 2004

The conference languages are *, but we will make every attempt to assist
presenters for whom English is a second language. If you require
assistance with translation please contact David Hallam as soon as possible.