Sender: owner-ozcons@coombs.anu.edu.au

--------------ECACE1C15507D58BC8C1B142

From: owner-ozcons@coombs.anu.edu.au
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:41:13 -0500 (EST)
To: alison@orac.net.au
Subject: BOUNCE ozcons@coombs.anu.edu.au: Approval required:

>From alison@orac.net.au  Wed Nov 25 22:41:06 1998
From: "Edmonds, Penny" <pedmonds@mov.vic.gov.au>
To: "'ozcons contributions'" <ozcons@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Subject: AICCM access to OSG-l ?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:40:44 +1000

Dear OzConners,

As you have probably noticed, there is a discussion currently underway on
the Consdistlist re access to the AIC OSG-L (Objects Speciality Group List).
These archives are now closed to the public and are accessible only to
paying members of OSG and WAG (Wooden Artifacts Group). However, anyone with
a query can obtain permission to access the archives by ending an email to
the OSG webmaster. I have attached a rather long email by David Harvey
explaining the situation.

My questions are:
Do objects-oriented conservators in Australia wish to ask collectively, as
for example AICCM members (and I assume we're all members !), for special
dispensation to access these archives? Or are we happy to send an email
requesting individual access and wait for the reply, etc.?

I personally have seached these archives and found them to be quite useful.
What are your experiences ? Does anyone care ?

Finally, Ozcons, according to its charter, is much more inclusive in tone
and I support this. But what is its actual status in terms of public access
and caveats to prevent misapplications of information, etc. Sorry to get all
litigious on you. Just curious.

Penny Edmonds
Senior Conservator
Museum Victoria