[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] O'Leary's Query

Ok. A Paper Conservators views...
You say the paper is buckled and warped... I'm presuming this isn't due to
the quality of the paper but the artists technique. If the artist wanted it
flat he/she should have pre stretched the paper before executing the work...
which can still be done now, so I'd give it back to them and let them see
how difficult it is to flatten it. (The paper can be re-humidified by
spraying lightly or placing in a 'humidity chamber' depending on size or
media, then taped out onto a board. Not by pressing as you may press in the
creases.)
If, after it has been flattened you are concerned that the warping may
return (I have used the following technique on water colours removed from
strainers) you can mount it onto board by attaching Japanese tissue strips
around the edges on the verso with wheat starch paste, humidify VERY
slightly, wrap and paste the hinges around conservation mount board cut to
size (depending on the weight of the paper you may need two layers of
1650micron). This technique looks particularly clean when box framing.
But, these processes take a bit of practice and understanding of the media
so always examine and test if necessary!
Good luck!
Emily O'Reilly (nee Gilbert)
Sydney, Australia