Subject: Removing soot from plaster and silver leaf

Removing soot from plaster and silver leaf

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation<-at->
Date: Monday, December 14, 2015
Jennifer Dennis <jelemede<-at->gmail<.>com> writes

>I am an objects conservator in private practice.  An artist I know
>recently has had a layer of fine particle, silt-like soot deposited
>on about 20 paintings that include (burnished) Venetian plaster and
>silver leaf (due to work on a chimney).  The soot adheres to
>surfaces and smears if brushed.  I don't have experience with this
>condition.

I have had success vacuuming soot and fine dusts off of sensitive
surfaces using a low flow, small diameter vacuum tube covered in a
thick-pile fuzzy fabric called Vellux.  The tiny synthetic fibers
dislodge the soot particles without smearing, provided no pressure
is applied, and the close proximity of the vacuum sucks away
particles into the foam substrate of Vellux.

You can get a stop-down tube adapter for most vacuums online (Google
Micro-vacuum attachment set), though you should use a HEPA vacuum.
The Vellux can be purchased in blanket form and cut up into
swatches, or sometimes in craft stores as a "Bead mat".  I also keep
samples on hand for those that want to try it and can't find it.  I
can't say it will work in your circumstance, but it is probably
worth a try.

Linda Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation, LLC
Woodinville, WA