Subject: Displaying sculpture intended to degrade

Displaying sculpture intended to degrade

From: Sarah Potter <sarah.potter<-at->
Date: Monday, December 7, 2015
I was wondering if anyone has experience working with sculpture
which intentionally degrades.  We have recently acquired Anya
Gallaccio's "Red Door with handle" which contains live gerberas
which degrade during exhibition

    <URL:http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/anya-gallaccio-red-door-with-handle-5871350-details.aspx>

The glass panes which contain the flowers are not sealed and we were
worried about mould spores with regards to public health.

Does anyone have experience doing risk assessments for sculpture
that is intended to degrade and if so could you provide us with some
advice?

Any feedback and experiences in dealing with this type of artwork is
also welcome.

Sarah Potter
Preventive Conservator
The Whitworth