Subject: San Gemini Preservation Studies Program

San Gemini Preservation Studies Program

From: Max Cardillo <cardillo.m<-at->
Date: Wednesday, December 9, 2015
We are now accepting applications for our summer 2016 field school,
the San Gemini Preservation Studies Program, now in its 18th year,
dedicated to the preservation of cultural heritage and offering
students the opportunity to study and travel in Italy.

Session One
May 30 - June 24, 2016

    Building Restoration: Touching the Stones

    Restoration of Traditional Masonry Buildings in Italy

    Sketching and Analyzing Historic Buildings

    Archaeological Ceramics Restoration

    Analysis of Archaeological Ceramics in Italy

    Restoration of Archaeological Ceramics

    Book Bindings Restoration

    The Craft of Making and Restoration Book Bindings

    Introduction to the History and Craft of Book Bindings

Session Two July 11 - August 5, 2016

    Paper Restoration

    Restoration and Conservation of Paper Media

    Paper Restoration Workshop

    Traditional Painting Restoration

    Traditional Materials, Methods of Painting and Art Restoration
    Issues

    Traditional Painting Workshop

    Preservation Theory and Practice in Italy

    Restoration Theory, Ethics and Issues

Field Projects:

    Restoration of the facade of the church of San Carlo (13th
    century)

    Analysis of medieval buildings in San Gemini as part of an urban
    study of the city

Intersession Programs June 25 - July 8, 2016

    Intersession Field Trip - Italy
    June 26 - July 5, 2016

        A ten day trip visiting Sienna, Florence and Rome: places of
        cultural interest, the urban and historical development of
        each town, and specialized visits to places of interest to
        restorers

    Intersession Trip - Athens
    Check-in Saturday, June 27, 2016
    Check-out Friday, July 8, 2016

        A twelve day visit of Athens: an exploration of the history
        of preservation and conservation issues facing the city led
        by some of the top Athenian experts in their field

Intersession Program: The History of Food in Italy
June 27 - July 8, 2016

    A two week course giving an overview of the evolution of the
    food system in Italy.  The course will include morning lectures
    and an experimental cooking workshop.

To find out more about our program and review the syllabi, please
visit

    <URL:http://www.sangeministudies.org>

Our courses are open to students from various disciplines, both
undergraduate and graduate.  All lessons are taught in English.

If you know any students, scholars, or others interested in this
type of study, please inform them about our program.  We would
appreciate it if you could list our program on your organization's
website as an available educational resource.

We have a 2016 flyer that you may wish to post on your department
notice board or forward to interested parties.  You can print this
from our website.  Please let us know if you have any problem
printing and we can email you the PDF.

Max Cardillo
Director
San Gemini Preservation Studies Program