Subject: Supporting CoOL and the Conservation DistList

Supporting CoOL and the Conservation DistList

From: Glenn Wharton <foundation<-at->
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015
I am a Museum Studies professor at New York University--a new career
that continues my habit of changing professions about every seven
years.  Over my career I shifted from being an archaeological
conservator to objects conservator in private practice to
specializing in public art, contemporary art, and finally time-based
media at MoMA.  I am not sure what this says about my own stability,
but all these changes meant that I had to access new information
fast about every seven years.

CoOL has been there through all of these transitions.  In the early
days I would always check the DistList email blasts (and still do).
I could also search prior postings through its database.  Since the
FAIC took over, it has become so much more.  With grants from the
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, The Samuel H. Kress Foundation, and the
Getty Foundation, FAIC managed a broad research and planning project
on "Charting the Digital Landscape of the Conservation Profession"
that will help to inform the future direction of online resources in
the field.  One of the things that came out of that report is just
how much we all continue to rely on Conservation OnLine.  CoOL is a
great place to learn about new conservation organizations, projects,
and publications and is a searchable database for finding colleagues
around the world.

    <URL:http://www.conservation-us.org/donate>

I encourage my colleagues to make use of all the digital tools that
CoOL has to offer, and to contribute financially to FAIC's very cool
efforts.

Sincerely,

Glenn Wharton

                 Distributed: Friday, December 4, 2015