Subject: Storing large colour transparencies

Storing large colour transparencies

From: Noni Zachri <nzachri<-at->
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Our museum has several large colour transparencies (approximately 3
feet x 10 feet) in its collection and we would like to investigate
the various possibilities for safe storage of these items.  The
transparencies have come into our collection rolled, and if we were
to house them in cold storage they would have to remain rolled as
space is limited.  If the items were to be unrolled, then they would
be stored in the general collection storage areas.  It is uncertain
at this point if space is available to store these items flat.
Another option that we are investigating is the possibility of
hanging storage for these items.

I was wondering how other institutions have dealt with the storage
of large format photographic materials, and if anyone can provide
advice regarding this matter?

Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Noni Zachri
Conservator, Kodak Paper, Books, and Images
Museum Victoria
GPO Box 666
Melbourne VIC 3001
Australia