Subject: Nitrocellulose lacquer

Nitrocellulose lacquer

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-at->
Date: Monday, October 19, 2015
Andrew Thackray <andrew.thackray<-at->brighton-hove<.>gov<.>uk> writes

>We would like to begin a lacquering programme at the Royal Pavilion
>and Museums for our open display silver and silver-gilt Collection.
>Given results from past research would prefer to use a clear
>nitrocellulose based lacquer such as Frigilene

I used Frigilene back in the days of Leonard Joel and they supplied
it using amyl acetate as the solvent.  This suggests to me that
aliphatic solvents should work as well, maybe even iso-propanol?
Suggest some experimentation.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian

                Distributed: Saturday, October 24, 2015