Subject: Enhancing pencilled and inked notations

Enhancing pencilled and inked notations

From: Dee Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee<-at->
Date: Monday, October 19, 2015
Margit J. Smith <mjsmith<-at->san<.>rr<.>com> writes

>One of my clients brought an 1801 Book of Common Prayer from which
>he wishes to preserve the pencilled and inked notes.  The paper is
>in very poor condition, foxed and near brittle.  Is there a process
>by which the notes can be photographed or scanned with the
>background excised to make the notes more prominent? ...

At the Canadian Association for Conservation (CAC) annual conference
in Saint John in 2013, we held a technical workshop on "Digital
Forensics for the Bench Conservator".  The workshop leader, Hal
Erikson, has done a lot of work with reading redacted and worn text
on documents.  I think he would be able to help you.  His website is

    <URL:http://retroreveal.org/>

Dee Stubbs-Lee, CAPC, MA
Conservator
New Brunswick Museum