Subject: Position at the National Trust

Position at the National Trust

From: Claire Magill <claire.magill<-at->
Date: Saturday, October 17, 2015
Preventative Conservation Internship
Rowallane Gardens, County Down
and the National Trust property closest to your geographical
location

Job Posting Title IRC28965

If you want a career in Conservation, we can offer you some of the
most interesting places to work.  Our visitors tell us that they
love coming to our beautiful places and spaces where they can
appreciate the wonderful work we do, so come and be a part of our
preventive conservation team and play your part in taking what we do
into the future.

What it's like to work here: Our internal Consultancy team support
the conservation and maintenance of some of Northern Ireland's most
important buildings and treasured places.  As well as working with
our fascinating collections, it will be your chance to apply your
skills to a worthwhile cause as you secure the future of a wonderful
legacy for the benefit of current and future generations.

As part of your Internship you'll spend time at Rowallane Gardens
but also one of the National Trust mansion houses closest to your
geographical location

What you'll be doing:

    The Internship will focus on preventive conservation,
    particularly through the care of our Collections.  Working
    alongside the Regional conservator for approximately half of
    your time, within the National Trust Consultancy, you will be
    part of a professional team, putting your training, experience
    and research and analysis skills into practice.

    You'll learn how the National Trust understands and manages
    indoor environments and the needs of its historic collections
    and interiors, by gathering environmental and collections
    management data to enable the provision of strategic advice and
    decision-making.

    You'll be given the opportunity to experience Collections Care
    and other bespoke conservation projects and be able to challenge
    conventional thinking and develop new ideas which can bring
    National Trust properties to life.

Specific training and work-based learning activities for this
internship will involve:

    Supporting the Trust's environmental monitoring and control
    systems by gathering data from properties in NI, including
    reporting of temperature, relative humidity, light and insect
    pest data

    Analysing the costs of preventive and remedial conservation
    measures and help to prioritise the treatment of collections and
    historic interiors

    Contributing to ongoing conservation projects through data
    analysis, organising the movement of objects, assisting with
    commissioning conservators, preparing reports

    Supporting one of the regions house teams in executing a small
    conservation project, and develop housekeeping skills to assist
    with winter cleaning regimes

Who we are looking for: We'd love to hear from you if you have;

    Good interpersonal and team working skills

    A qualification in conservation or arts / heritage sectors

    Enthusiastic and keen to learn all aspects of conservation

    Good data interpretation and analytical skills

    A willingness to undertake professional development
    opportunities

The Package:

    UKP4,824

    Fixed term contract from December 2015 - May 2016 (6 months)
    Part time:  30 hours per week

    Looking after you:

        Subsidised Health Cash Plan with a range of options to cover
        you and your children

        Salary exchange pension scheme, with employer contribution
        match up to 10%

        Employee Assistance Programme

        Generous holiday entitlement

    Looking after your career

        Grow your career with a range of professional training
        courses

        Learning opportunities from eLearning to job shadowing and
        secondments

        Annual pay review linked to values and behaviours with a
        commitment to progression

        Ill-health benefits including group income protection

    Unique to us:

        Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique
        locations in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

        Staff card entitling you to free entry to National Trust
        properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)

        20% off in our retail and catering outlets

        Discount of up to 35% off National Trust holiday cottages

This internship work based placement is aimed at 18-24 year-olds,
and would suit a recent graduate in preventive conservation
(arts/heritage degree also considered) who wishes to develop a
career in Collections care in the cultural heritage sector.

To apply for this vacancy or any other vacancies of interest, you
will need to log into

    <URL:http://www.nationaltrustjobs.org.uk>

If you do not have a job account you will need to create a new one,
located on the home page.

Closing date: 4 November 2015
Provisional interview date:  12 November 2015

We do not accept CVs or covering letters for Northern Ireland
vacancies.  Please fill out the online application form on the
National Trust Jobs website.

We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applicants
regardless of religious beliefs, political opinion, sex, marital
status, age or disability.

The Trust appoints on merit.

Short listing is carried out objectively by assessing the
information you provide against the requirements of the job as set
out in the vacancy details on our website.  If you are short listed,
you will be contacted and invited to attend an interview.  We will
also tell you if we need you to do anything else such as a skills
test, presentation or a property visit.  We only accept on-line
applications.  However, if you require assistance to participate in
the recruitment process, for example due to disability, please
contact the Recruitment Team at +44 870 240 0274(option 1) for
assistance.  Having a criminal record will not necessarily prevent
you from working at the National Trust.  In reaching a decision we
will take account of the nature of your work, the circumstances and
background of the offence(s) and the time elapsed.

Claire Magill ACR
Regional Conservator
+44 2897 512353
+44 7917001827