Subject: Nitrocellulose lacquer

Nitrocellulose lacquer

From: Andrew Thackray <andrew.thackray<-at->
Date: Friday, October 16, 2015
We would like to begin a lacquering programme at the Royal Pavilion
and Museums for our open display silver and silver-gilt Collection.
Given results from past research would prefer to use a clear
nitrocellulose based lacquer such as Frigilene.  We have a staff
member working on site that is very sensitive to xylene and so
cannot use a lacquer that has this solvent in its formulation.
Agateen--an alternative nitrocellulose lacquer used in the US, is
formulated with toluene instead of xylene which would be suitable
except for the prohibitive cost of shipping to the UK.

Does anyone know of a suitable nitrocellulose lacquer that is not
formulated with xylene, which is available from within Europe?

Andy Thackray ACR
Objects Conservator
Royal Pavilion and Museums
Brighton, UK