Subject: Medal collections

Medal collections

From: Sean Campbell <salexcamp<-at->
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2015
I am a conservation student with Fleming College's Cultural Heritage
Conservation and Management Program in Peterborough, Ontario.  I am
currently on internship at the Imperial War Museum in London, UK as
part of my final semester with the program.  For the museum and my
research, I am undertaking a survey of the medal collections using
older paper conservation records spanning from 1976-1999 and
comparing them with newer Adlib software records.

In addition to these records, I am recording the current practices
of institutions in regards to caring for medal collections.  So far,
I have had responses from the Military Museums in Calgary, Alberta,
The Canadian War Museum, The National Numismatic Society at the
Smithsonian, and the National World War I Museum and Memorial in
Kansas City.

For the benefit of my research, I was looking to broaden my search
by putting a call out through the list.  What recommendations or
guidelines do you have in regards to the conservation, display,
storage, and transportation of medal collections?

                Distributed: Saturday, October 10, 2015