Subject: 14th century polychrome sculptures

14th century polychrome sculptures

From: Florin Gstohl <florin.gstoehl<-at->
Date: Sunday, October 4, 2015
I am searching for any kind of material, which talks about
polychrome structures on sculptures.  I'm doing research on
sculptures (sandstone) of the 14th century (1350).  They seemed to
had in the originals a partly painted surface which where applied
directly on the stone.  The thesis is, that in the original, the
sculptures where almost leaving their stone surface with partly
applied decorative structures like accentuated eyes and lips, rhombs
on the garment in black and red fine lines, gilded parts, etc.
Because I didn't found anything on such a partly applied polychrome
structure I would be very thankful for any information.

Florin Gstohl
Master of Arts in Conservation-Restoration
Bern

                Distributed: Saturday, October 10, 2015