Subject: Guillotines

Guillotines

From: Andrew Hart <ashart<-at->
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2015
Is anyone on the list using a paper guillotine for digitization prep
and/or conservation and binding?  If so, please comment on the
following:

    What model do you have?  Does it work well for your purposes?

    What do you use it for?

    If you use the guillotine to disbind for digitization, do you
    rebind after scanning?

    If you retain some books without rebinding, how do you handle
    them (e.g. boxes, Tyvek envelopes, shrink wrap, return to open
    stacks, transfer to closed stacks)?

We are considering disbinding some materials to expedite
digitization.  In particular, we're looking at materials with low
artifactual value and paper that would be well-suited to a
high-speed sheet-fed scanner (e.g. a collection of theses).  While
digitization is a big part of our interest in a paper guillotine, we
also want the cutter to be suitable for some general collections
conservation purposes (e.g. prep for hand adhesive binding).

I will appreciate any comments you can offer about equipment and
best practice, especially regarding disbinding/rebinding associated
with digitization.

Andrew Hart
Head, Preservation Department
CB#3910, Davis Library