Subject: Survey on minimal invasive sampling of paintings

Survey on minimal invasive sampling of paintings

From: Marjolein Heezen <marjolein.heezen<-at->
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2015
Survey

"Minimal Invasive Sampling of Paintings"

    <URL:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gQa4xrAtKVhqW6vLLiLQ7EDk1qaqjgbPX17KmZ968Zg/viewform?usp=send_form>

For our Bachelor Thesis in Mechanical Engineering at the Delft
University of Technology, we are doing a research and design
project, combining our Engineering knowledge with--for us--a very
new area of expertise: taking paint samples from paintings.  During
our thesis we want to look into the possibilities of technological
improvements to the current method of sampling.  This improvement
could be a machine or tool that takes samples, or assists to
increase precision and control.  Minimal invasive techniques are
already applied within the BioMedical profession.  For example,
equipment for eye surgery and brain surgery is getting smaller and
smaller, and so is the damage to the eyes and brain during surgery.

We want to conduct a survey to get more insight in the world of
sampling of paintings by asking questions to those with hands-on
experience.  With our research we try to figure out what the best
way is to improve the process of taking minimal invasive samples
from paintings.  We want to use the feedback from the possible
end-users of our concept to determine what aspects we need to take
into account whet developing a new method.  With the results we hope
to find an improved method that will damage the paintings even less,
will keep all the samples intact and of the desired size.  Also we
want to make the process easier and more consistent.

We want to thank you in advance for answering our questions.  We
appreciate your feedback very much.

                 Distributed: Saturday, October 3, 2015