Subject: Micro wasps

Micro wasps

From: Kilian Anheuser <kilian.anheuser<-at->
Date: Monday, September 28, 2015
Suzanne Kitto <suzanne.kitto<-at->armouries<.>org<.>uk> writes

>Has anyone any experience of the use of micro wasps to tackle their
>moth issues?

Based on our own experience, the release by a professional company
of 4.3 million wasps in our reserves over a period of two years
(2009-10), I must strongly advise against this approach, attractive
as it may appear.  The treatment was inefficient against the moths
and we ended up with dead wasps all over our collections (feathers,
textiles and other difficult to clean materials).  We have published
a paper in Studies in Conservation 58 (2013), 269-273.  For an
English version, presented at the Integrated Pest Management
conference in Vienna in 2013 and to be published in the conference
proceedings, please contact me by e-mail.

Kilian Anheuser
Curator in charge of preventive conservation
Geneva Museum of Ethnography
Geneva, Switzerland
+41 22 418 45 92

                 Distributed: Saturday, October 3, 2015