Subject: Letterpress copybooks

Letterpress copybooks

From: Laura Dellapiana <laura.dellapiana<-at->
Date: Monday, September 14, 2015
I am a Postgraduate Fellow at the Smithsonian Institution Archives.
Under the supervision of Senior Conservator Nora Lockshin, I am
starting a research project for the stabilization of letterpress
copybooks (outgoing correspondence from 1850 - 1877) of the second
Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, Spencer Fullerton Baird.
The project continues a research completed in 2011 by another
Postgraduate Fellow, Beth Antoine (

    <URL:http://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic/sg/bpg/annual/v30/bp30-02.pdf>

The aim of the project is to conduct tests on samples from and
mockups of letterpress copybooks sheets with different antioxidants,
adhesives, and application techniques, to model effective workflow
to stabilize the volumes for digitization in the future.  In
particular, we are going to test three different antioxidants:
Tetrabutyl Ammonium Bromide, 1-ethyl-3-methyl imidazolium bromide,
1-butyl-2,3-dimethyl imidazolium bromide, and five adhesives:
gelatin, Klucel G, Tri-funori, isinglass, and the new Avanse/Plextol
formula for heat-set mending tissue as developed by the National
Archives and Records Administration (

    <URL:http://www.conservators-converse.org/2015/05/43rd-annual-meeting-book-paper-session-may-15-heat-set-tissue-finding-a-practical-solution-of-adhesives-by-lauren-varga-and-jennifer-k-herrmann/>

Since letterpress copybooks can be found in many Archive, Museum,
and Library collections in the United States and abroad, I am
writing to know if anyone is currently undertaking research
projects/conservation treatments/stabilization treatments for the
digitization of these kind of artifacts, and would like to share
his/her knowledge and experience.  Particularly, I would like to
know if anyone has tested the application of the materials I
mentioned above on letterpress copybooks, or has particular
tips/observations for the practical handling of these artifacts.

I really hope to start a fruitful conversation, every thought,
observation and experience is well-received.

Laura Dellapiana
Postgraduate Fellow in Conservation of Museum Collections
Smithsonian Institution Archives
202-633-6435
Capital Gallery
Suite 3000