Subject: Ambient scents in museum galleries

Ambient scents in museum galleries

From: Clare Lim <clare.conservation<-at->
Date: Monday, September 7, 2015
A local museum is planning to use ambient scents in two of its newly
revamped galleries that will be opening later this month.  Each
liquid scent will be introduced into the gallery air by a dispenser
that releases it as a fine mist at programmed time intervals.  There
will be one dispenser for each gallery, and it will be placed on the
floor in an unobtrusive corner.

Simple contact tests conducted by placing drops of each scent
product on polished silver, lead and copper coupons, as well as on
varnishes on a sample board, showed that the scent products caused
visible changes to the test substrates.  As there are various types
of artefacts (textiles, plastics, metals, furniture) on open display
in these galleries, we are concerned about the potential effects of
exposing these artefacts to the ambient scents.  The scents will be
in use for 3 - 5 years on a daily basis for 9 hours each day.

These specific scents are not commercially available as they were
specially created for these galleries, and it may be difficult to
prevent them from being used entirely.

However, upon enquiry, we were informed by the vendor of the
dispensers that there are no instruments that can detect the level
of scent products in the air in real time.  In the absence of more
sophisticated methods, we are considering placing indicator papers
(such as facial blotting paper) throughout the gallery and on the
artefacts to detect the presence and distribution of the scent
products, though we have not yet tested this method on-site.

I would like to ask if anyone has had any experience with the use of
uncontrolled ambient scents in museum galleries, especially where
there are objects on open display.  Is there a way to detect and
monitor the distribution of the scents in the galleries?  Can anyone
recommend ways to manage the impact of the scent products on the
objects in the galleries?  Any other relevant information or points
to consider would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Clare Lim
Assistant Conservator (Objects)