Subject: Mousetraps

Mousetraps

From: Dee Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee<-at->
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Our collections storage is in an 80 year old masonry building with
the usual occasional mouse issues.  Traditionally, we have used snap
traps baited with peanut butter as our primary means of mouse
control.  This summer, we had a couple of students on staff who had
nut and peanut allergies, and so have temporarily removed all of the
peanut butter baited mousetraps as a precaution.  I would like to
reinstate the snap traps and am looking for suggestions for bait
alternatives that will be safer for staff and visitors with
allergies while at the same time not messy or overly attractive to
insect pests.  How have other museums dealt with this situation?

Dee Stubbs-Lee, CAPC, MA
Conservator
New Brunswick Museum
Musee du Nouveau-Brunswick