Subject: Dusting artworks

Dusting artworks

From: Doris Couture-Rigert <dcrigert<-at->
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Paul Benson <pbenson<-at->nelson-atkins<.>org> writes

>I am writing an Artwork Dusting Plan for my museum and would like to
>know how other institutions dust their works of art. ...

We have the following procedure in place at the National Gallery of
Canada (NGC):

    3-D objects/sculptures displayed in the open are dusted by the
    Conservation Technician (Conservation Department) using various
    size sable brushes and a vacuum cleaner (nozzle screen-covered),
    or a lambswool duster as required, at the following frequency:

        Permanent gallery spaces: ones a month

        Works in temporary exhibition spaces are dusted based on
        visitor-volume and may be as frequent as twice a week

    Dusting of frames is also carried out by the Conservation
    Technician, using sable brushes and a vacuum cleaner at the
    following frequency:

        Lower horizontal edge and easy accessible vertical areas of
        frames: 4 times per year

        Areas further up and top edges: twice per year

    Dusting of paintings is carried out as required by Conservators
    (Conservation Department), using sable brushes

    Cleaning of Plexiglas of display cases is done weekly by the
    Lighting Technician (Technical Services Department), using NGC
    Plexi-cleaner on soft cotton jersey

    Cleaning of the painted, lower portion of display cases is done
    as required by the Installation Technicians (Technical Services
    Department), using a moist cloth.  If need be, gum or grease
    residues are removed with Goo Gone

    Dusting of furnishings such as benches/sitting areas in
    exhibition spaces is done daily by cleaning staff reporting to
    Facilities, Planning and Management (FPM)

    Floors in exhibition spaces are dry-mopped daily by the same
    cleaning staff.  The training/de-briefing of the cleaners is
    done by FPM and Conservation

    Artworks installed directly on the floor have a safe-zone of 3
    feet around them which is cleaned by the Conservation Technician
    using a dry Swiffer

Doris Couture-Rigert
Senior Conservator
Sculpture and Decorative Arts