Subject: Food in museums

Food in museums

From: Simon Green <simongreen22<-at->
Date: Saturday, August 29, 2015
>Paul Himmelstein <aandh<-at->mindspring<.>com> writes
>
>Ingrid Neuman <berkart<-at->earthlink<.>net> writes
>
>>I am writing to inquire if there is an extant formal list of
>>recommended (and also therefore by extension not recommended) food
>>items to be served in a small museum cafe.  ...

I may be a bit dim but I don't understand the question below.  Or I
don't know why it is asked if it is a conservation question rather
than a commercial one.  The issue is surely not what is served in
the cafe (cooked or not) but how to ensure it stays in the cafe and
does not get into the area where the artefacts are.  As
non-conservator, I have not observed people eating in galleries but
maybe I am unobservant.  I also do not understand the issue with
cooking as long as the cafe and kitchen are well ventilated to the
open air.

As the old line "Ace Caf with nice Museum attached" implied, most
museums need commercial activities like cafes and shops to help them
flourish.  They help pay for the building costs, environmental
controls and even conservators' salaries.

Simon Green

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 6, 2015