Subject: Food in museums

Food in museums

From: Paul Himmelstein <aandh<-at->
Date: Friday, August 28, 2015
>Paul Himmelstein <aandh<-at->mindspring<.>com> writes
>
>Ingrid Neuman <berkart<-at->earthlink<.>net> writes
>
>>I am writing to inquire if there is an extant formal list of
>>recommended (and also therefore by extension not recommended) food
>>items to be served in a small museum cafe.  ...

I would not be so concerned about visitors tracking crumbs from the
cafe.  They are likely to have lots of stuff stuck to their shoes
already.  But sticky fingers, depending on the types of food to be
served, might result in dirtier exhibition cases and walls.  If the
cafe is going to serve hot food, will there be steam tables?  Is the
cafe served by a separate HVAC system?  If not, and if hot food will
be served, food smells, water vapor from a steam table, and aerosols
may be circulated to the galleries--sometimes not a situation
visitors will appreciate.  Clearly you want very strict regulation
of where food can be consumed within the building, and how garbage
will be handled; it should be clear that food cannot be taken out of
the cafe.  What are the current rules about staff eating on the
premises?

Any food left in the building after hours should be stored in
vermin-proof containers or commercial refrigerators with appropriate
gaskets.  Meticulous clean-up of all areas where food is prepared
and consumed, so that no residue is left overnight, is essential.
If the museum is considering alcoholic beverages, will "tipsy"
visitors present an additional hazard to collections?

Paul Himmelstein

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 6, 2015