Subject: Dusting artworks

Dusting artworks

From: Paul Benson <pbenson<-at->
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2015
I am writing an Artwork Dusting Plan for my museum and would like to
know how other institutions dust their works of art.  Please take a
moment and respond to the following questions: How often do you dust
your artwork?  This refers to artworks displayed out in the open
environment not inside a closed display case.  Are 3-dimensional
artworks dusted more often than paintings?  Are frames dusted more
often than the painting themselves?  Who does the
dusting--conservators, maintenance staff, dedicated dusting staff,
volunteers, etc.?  Is the display furniture dusted at the same time
as the artwork?  Is it dusted by the same people who dust the art?
How is the dusting done--rags, brushes, feather dusters, lamb's wool
dusters, vacuum cleaners, Swiffer dusters, etc.?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Paul L. Benson
Conservator of Objects
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
4525 Oak St.