Subject: Lighting

Lighting

From: Laura Homer <laura.homer<-at->
Date: Monday, August 24, 2015
The Nasjonalmuseet, Oslo (Norway) is moving to a new building in
2019 and we are currently busy with architectural plans and interior
design of our new conservation studios.  The ceiling of the studios
will be 4m high.  Fantastic though this is, the height presents some
issues around the installation of ceiling mounted daylight lamps.
We would like a flexible track system (Pantograph Luminaires hanging
from a track grid beam system), whereby the lights can be moved
around the studio and up and down, whilst maintaining as much of the
ceiling height as possible.

We would like to know the experiences of other museums and
institutions regarding lighting in their studios, especially when
dealing with high ceilings.  Have you installed ceiling-mounted
lights, and if so are they fixed in place, or on movable track
systems?  Is the height of the lights fixed or do they concertina up
and down?  If the lights must be extended fully in order to reach
them how do you move them along the track system without damaging
the fixings (e.g. pulley system, rope, motor, stick)?  Do you use a
combination of ceiling lights and floor lights?  What
companies/suppliers did you use for the lights and the tracks?

Laura Homer
The National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design, Oslo
Paintings Conservator
+47 969 05 175

                  Distributed: Friday, August 28, 2015