Subject: Storing linoleum blocks

Storing linoleum blocks

From: Renita Ryan <renita.ryan<-at->
Date: Monday, August 10, 2015
I would like to know the best way of storing lino blocks for the
long term.  Our gallery has acquired a number of artist's lino
blocks, from which a number of prints have previously been taken.
The lino blocks are approximately 700 mm high x 510 mm wide.  For
exhibition in the gallery they were adhered onto mat board, so each
one is approximately 5mm deep.  The blocks remain flexible, however
they are quite smelly--as they are fairly new and have been inked
they have the odour of linoleum, ink and solvent.  I assume that
they will become more brittle as they age, and more difficult to
handle, but that the odour may diminish in time.  How are other
institutions storing this type of material?   Is boxing them in
groups a good idea?  Is stacking them a problem?  5 or 6 of these
blocks on top of each other becomes quite heavy and I wonder if the
one on the bottom will be damaged by having the weight of the others
on top of it.  Any ideas are welcome.

Renita Ryan
Principal Conservator
Objects