Subject: Food in museums

Food in museums

From: Ingrid Neuman <berkart<-at->
Date: Thursday, August 6, 2015
I am writing to inquire if there is an extant formal list of
recommended (and also therefore by extension not recommended) food
items to be served in a small museum cafe.  There has never been a
museum cafe in-house at our museum and thus we are seeking
recommendations, and caveats, for food products in a cafe area which
has very close proximity to galleries within the museum.  My
greatest concern is food debris being tracked into the nearby
galleries unknowingly on the bottom of museum visitors' shoes for
instance.  Has this effect ever been quantified?

I would be interested in hearing any and all recommendations and
experiences around this topic.  Many thanks in advance,

Ingrid Neuman
Conservator
RISD Museum

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 8, 2015