Subject: Tattoo removal lasers

Tattoo removal lasers

From: Will Murray <info<-at->
Date: Monday, August 3, 2015
Jonathan Kemp writes

>Probably everyone knows that tattoo removal lasers are of the same
>spec as conservation lasers but 1/10th of the price--in fact they
>are more or less derived from such lasers.

Apologies if this may not be entirely relevant to the original query
as it does not directly deal with conservation of artefacts with
lasers.  A heavily-tattooed gentleman attended the studio today to
check the fire extinguishers.  On discussing his tattoos he
mentioned that he had had both sleeves completely stripped back by
laser at a cost of around GBP2000 each, and then re-tattooed to a
much higher standard at a cost of GBP1500 each.  He is planning to
have his legs stripped next.  I asked whether he had an opinion
about cheap tattoo removal lasers and he said they were a waste of
time as they were ineffective for his needs--they do not remove the
pigments at a rate he considers sensible given the time investment
required.  His tattooist uses a laser that cost GBP20,000 to remove
tattoos, with removal of a complete sleeve taking many visits over 6
weeks or so, working on a patch measuring 10cm by 10cm each time,
and repeating several times till the pigments have faded
sufficiently for re-tattooing to be successful.  This laser is
effective at removing blacks, blues and greens, but reds and yellows
are not so easily removed.  It would seem that given that the
cheaper lasers do appear to have many of the same characteristics as
professional-quality lasers, but are not regarded by this admittedly
very small sample of one user as being worthwhile, only an actual
comparison of performance will allow conclusions to be drawn
regarding effectiveness.

Will Murray ACR
Artefacts and Preventive Conservator
The Scottish Conservation Studio LLP