Subject: Accelerated ageing of funori

Accelerated ageing of funori

From: Rod Stewart <rod<-at->
Date: Monday, July 20, 2015
Accelerated Aging (AA)

We are the manufacturers of a polysaccharide starch-based
conservation product called TRI-Funori.  The starch, a funoran, is
extracted from two species of funori, (the Japanese word for
seaweed) found only in the coastal waters of the Sea of Japan.  When
dissolved in water, the non-toxic starch dries matte on contact and
leaves no tide lines when applied to absorbent surfaces.  It has
beneficial properties as a fixative for powdery paints, as a readily
reversible adhesive and with washi paper as a mild cleaning agent
for delicate surfaces.  The starch has been used for centuries in
Asian conservation practice and since the end of WWII in the west.

Presumably, conservators applying anything including TRI-Funori to
museum objects or works of art on paper will want to know in advance
how it might perform over time.  Based on our research, we have not
found a coherent record of this funoran's performance in the
literature we have been able to access.  We are therefore planning
to conduct experimental testing of our own to establish some
reliable benchmarks for TRI-Funori's performance.  We would like to
reach out to the community for any additional information on a "best
practices" Accelerated Aging process or methodology that
convincingly simulates significantly more time than the experiment
takes to perform.

Any further informative reading suggestions on AA and any other
suggestions for testing would also be appreciated, and of course our
test results will be published at

    <URL:http://www.tri-funori.com>

Rod Stewart

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 23, 2015