Subject: Consolidative reduction of lead

Consolidative reduction of lead

From: Valentin Boissonnas <valentin.boissonnas<-at->
Date: Thursday, July 16, 2015
Suzanne Kitto <suzanne.kitto<-at->armouries<.>org<.>uk> writes

>Many years ago on my conservation course we converted lead corrosion
>back to lead.  I am looking at trying this on corroded lead bullets.
>I have my university notes but wondered if anyone had actual
>experience of carrying out this method and how successful it was?

At the Haute Ecole Arc in Neuchatel, Switzerland we have developed a
reduction pen (PLECO) for the conservation of silver and lead
surfaces.  Even though it is most successfully used on tarnished
silver surfaces it can also be used on corroded lead.  The upcoming
course on its use will be in Neuchatel 15-16 October, 2015.

    <URL:http://conservation-restauration.he-arc.ch/cor-formation-continue/programme-2015#2015-PLECO>

We've had one MA student who did her dissertation on the use of
Pleco for the reduction of lead alloy seals that were attached to
strings or textile bands.  The dissertation is in French and you can
email me in case you would like a PDF of it
valentin.boissonnas<-at->he-arc<.>ch

If you are just trying to reduce corrosion from lead bullets you can
do it without a pen but by immersion.  You might want to refer to
these publications:

    Schotte, Bart; and Adriaens, Annemie
    Treatments of corroded lead artefacts: an overview.
    Studies in conservation 51, no. 4 (2006), pp. 297-304

    Degrigny, C., R. Le Gall
    Conservation of Ancient Lead Artefacts Corroded in Organic Acid
    Environments: Electrolytic Stabilization/Consolidation
    Studies in Conservation, 44, No. 3, 1999, p. 157-169

Valentin Boissonnas
Professeur charge d'enseignement
Haute ecole de Conservation-restauration Arc
Espace de l'Europe 11
2000 Neuchatel

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 23, 2015