Subject: Alternatives to PVA

Alternatives to PVA

From: Andrew Hawley <manticle<-at->
Date: Friday, June 26, 2015
I have just begun work in a new museum.  One of the box makers here
has occasionally been using a commercially prepared solution of PVA
adhesive designed for woodworking (Selleys Aquadhere) when
constructing archival blue board storage units.  We use 3m archival
hot melt guns and glue for most of the box construction and internal
fit-outs but the supplied glue sticks have a very low melt
temperature and dry quite rapidly, which makes their use impractical
for board over a certain size.

Before I remove the Aquadhere from the workshop, can anyone suggest
an alternative, appropriate, slower drying adhesive (or
alternatively allay my doubts about the negative effects of this
kind of wood glue?  By negative effects I am solely referring to its
suitability for use in close proximity to museum objects as the
solution itself is low/no toxicity).

Andrew Hawley
Exhibitions and Collections Preparator
Museum of Old and New Art